While I think he has a ceiling at 145, Aljo could be a force

I’m not 100% on how much it was Calvin Kattar that made Aljo look good, but Aljo looked very good. He had a great wrestling shot in there and looked fast for the division. It might help his grappling being quicker and against taller fighters on average.

2 Likes

Im a big Aljo fan as well. I want to see him recapture the belt at 145, but I dont think he can beat the champs.

1 Like

I think he’s an interesting guy because I really categorize his style as “mixed” martial arts. As in, his striking is unorthodox and I don’t see him winning too many kickboxing matches, but what he does works great at setting up his grappling. He’s an amazing grappler so this next statement isn’t to take away from that, but from a pure “getting the takedown” perspective he isn’t elite but he knows how to get to a point where he can get his paws on you through his striking and take your back or get the takedown using the cage.

He’s obviously a great athlete, but I think his ceiling would be lower based on just pure atheticism. It’s his intelligence that really puts him over the top.

FYI, I completely think taking the DQ was the right thing to do. If Yan didn’t like it, he shouldn’t have landing such a powerful, illegal technique.

2 Likes

He uses a takedown attempt to get his opponent to expose their back so he can take it.
When he shoots, the takedown isnt his primary objective.
The backtake is.
Its beautiful.

3 Likes

To me, the Cory Sandhagen fight was mastery.

2 Likes

Such a beautiful backtake!
He was so aggressive in that fight…
Hes much more calculated now.

1 Like

Yeah I’m trying to figure out if this is good or bad. He got the Kattar win obviously, but I think it’ll be good if he can do this on a case-by-case vs. approaching every fight like this.

1 Like

Hes in a tough spot. Every loss weighs more because Dana loves to shit on him.
He cant just fight freely because he doesn’t have the UFCs support.

1 Like

To be fair, the last fight didn’t help him in that regard. While I personally can appreciate what he does, the fact of the matter is that they aren’t in the “winning fights” business as much as they’re in the entertainment business. You don’t get paid because you fight, you get paid because people want to watch you fight. The reason behind that may differ from person-to-person, but that’s what needs to be considered. I want the best regardless of “style”, but that’s just me.

1 Like

Facts

1 Like

I mean, they can be mad at the UFC when they should really be mad at the public. It’s because of the UFC that he gets exposure.

Dana has done some shady shit, but I think a lot of fighters underestimate the value the UFC brand has brought to their careers that they wouldn’t have otherwise. Guys went to Bellator to get their “fair share” and it went Bankrupt. So in fact their “fair share” was being overpaid. They gonna give that money back?

1 Like

Pretty soon it will only be the UFC. PFL-AllOTOR will be done in about 2-3 years.

1 Like

As long as he doesn’t have to strike lol

4 Likes

Shut the fuck up Dana you cheap bitch.

1 Like

boring as F

1 Like

Not only is he boring but he’s simply not that good. He just holds on for dear life. Specially in late rounds.

He “wins” the belt by getting knocked out clean by a knee

He’s gifted a split decision against Yan in a fight he later admitted he was stalling and cursing and just holding on in rounds 4 & 5

He beats Dillashart because Dillashart is a con artist who took the fight knowing he had one shoulder. Cool you finished a fighter with one arm. Congrats

Gifted another split decision against Henry cejudo. A man he TOWERED over. A man who had not fought in 3 years. His boy Merab dominated cejudo.

In his FW debut he fights a dude who hasn’t fought in 1.5 years and he does zero damage to him. All he did was again, hold on to him for dear life.

Everyone calls khabib & islam “weight bullies” but what about Aljo? Literally the one and only reason he had success at BW was cause he was a massive human being over all them. Yet he still got KO’d by Petr Yan and by a “man” who is an admitted Cuck

rDsaW8m

lbjZkhN

Yuo1aPq

48uilz

48uho0

Aljo is fantastic, if you ever stepped foot on a mat in your life you would appreciate the shit out of what he does.

Former champ, fights in the biggest promotion there is with a winning record and has wins in multiple weight classes…shit I wish I “wasn’t that good”

3 Likes

He “wins” the belt by getting knocked out clean by a knee

He’s gifted a split decision against Yan in a fight he later admitted he was stalling and cursing and just holding on in rounds 4 & 5

He beats Dillashart because Dillashart is a con artist who took the fight knowing he had one shoulder. Cool you finished a fighter with one arm. Congrats

Gifted another split decision against Henry cejudo. A man he TOWERED over. A man who had not fought in 3 years. His boy Merab dominated cejudo.

Gets knocked out in the opening minute of round 2 by SO’M

In his FW debut he fights a dude who hasn’t fought in 1.5 years and he does zero damage to him. All he did was again, hold on to him for dear life.

Again, its not his fault the judges and UFC gave him these opponents and outcomes. If those guys were that good they shouldn’t have left it to the judges, or they should have had the skillset to get the W from the judges.

Even if you take his title run away, he is still a top 5-10 fighter in the UFC. Thats fantastic.

Go train and have a bit more respect for some of these fighters because you clearly have no clue what you’re looking at from a technical stand point