Dana Confirms Plans for Aspinall to Defend Interim Title

4 Likes

With Jon Jones and Stipe Miocic on the shelf, Dana White is ready to get UFC interim heavyweight champion Tom Aspinall active.

The British fighter last competed at UFC 295 in November. After Jon Jones vs. Stipe Miocic was canceled, the promotion subbed in Tom Aspinall vs. Sergei Pavlovich. The two competed for the interim heavyweight title, as ‘Bones’ was expected to be out of action for months.
Tom Aspinall won the UFC interim heavyweight title with ease, knocking out Pavlovich inside one round. Following the victory, the Brit called to fight both Jon Jones and Stipe Miocic. Dana White and company even liked the sound of the latter, offering both men the headlining spot of UFC 300 next month.
However, Stipe Miocic declined, and Tom Aspinall has remained on the shelf. In the months since his title win, the interim champion has repeatedly called for the chance to defend the gold and remain active. Aspinall even pitched the idea of having a one-off boxing match, if the UFC won’t let him do so.

However, UFC President Dana White is down to have Tom Aspinall defend the gold. Speaking in a recent interview with TNT Sports, the promoted was asked about the future of the heavyweight division. There, White confirmed that Jones vs. Miocic will still happen, but it’s not fair to have Aspinall out of action.
“Jones is set to fight Stipe.” Dana White stated to TNT Sports when asked about the future of the UFC heavyweight division. “I hope that the winner of that fight, will fight Tom. Yeah, we’ll see [about it potentially happening in England], I agree… Well, yeah. If you think right now, it’s March, who knows [what will happen]? With Jon Jones and Stipe, because of the injury, who knows when they’ll fight.”

He continued, “It’s not right to let Tom sit. If Tom wants to defend the title, we will absolutely do it.”

For what it’s worth, it’s not like there’s a lack of contenders for Tom Aspinall to face. Just earlier this month at UFC 299, Curtis Blaydes defeated Jailton Almeida by second-round knockout. Post-fight, ‘Razor’ called for a rematch with Aspinall, in a bid for interim gold.

The wrestler famously handed Tom Aspinall his first promotional defeat back in July 2022. However, the loss was one caused by injury, and the Brit has shown interest in rematching Blaydes since then.

1 Like

Toms the champ, Jones won one fight at HW, Tom has beat most of the top 10, Miocic is retired years. They can fuck off with their paper belt.

23 Likes

If you’re around long enough to defend the interim title, I think it’s time you are promoted to champion

26 Likes

Not worth the tin it’s made of

1 Like

I think Jones will defend vs Stipe at IFW or July/ August if Conor headlines IFW. Then Aspinall will defend vs Blaydes in either July/August in England.

Then UFC will negotiate with Jones about defending vs Aspinall at the end of the year or early next year but Jones will kinda ride the fence about retiring for a bit.

1 Like

I get it. I am just saying from my perspective. I know that UFC would never do that.

2 Likes

Jon ain’t the HW champ until he beats Francis or Tom.

I hear people saying Jon won’t fight Aspinall because it won’t do anything for his legacy as if beating a shop worn Stipe would. Casuals aren’t that stupid and the ones who are will see what’s going on the second they wheel out Miocic to be sacrificed to Jon Jones.

6 Likes

Episode 1 Lol GIF by UFC

5 Likes

How crazy is it gonna feel if we actually see Stipe step back into the octagon again after all these years and fight for the title??? Remember that guy? Yeah he was great but it seems like forever ago. Are they planning on making Leon-Matt Hughes as well?

5 Likes

Stipe has the opportunity to do the funniest thing.

what a joke
Tom is clearly the HW to beat in the world right now
Pavlovich is #2

Jon needs to actually beat some HWs with recent wins to move into contention

Francis was the man, now it is Tom…that is crystal clear

6 Likes

No, beat Jon Jones.

I won’t be surprised if Aspinall loses to Blaydes and screws this entire situation up even worse. Jones definitely won’t fight Blaydes because absolutely no one gives a shit about Blaydes. Heavyweight could be terrible again with a quickness if the ufc doesn’t play this right.

4 Likes

A stadium fight in England with MVP vs Leon and Tom vs Blades would be epic.

1 Like

Haha @ defending the interim title.
What a joke.

He’s champ.

6 Likes

Big Tom is the real Champion.

6 Likes

They are having a heavyweight title fight.

Who is fighting? Tom Aspinall. That means he’s the champion.

This interim belt business is such nonsense. There is either a champion or not, you can’t have half-way champion.

2 Likes

Jones would beat the shit outta Tom. And I’m from England

3 Likes

If Jones was as confident as you then he would not have pissed hot, eye poked, avoided HW for fifteen years and be demanding to defend vs a HW over 40 who has not won a fight in four years.

4 Likes