305 Headed Down Under to Perth ( IZZ vs DDP ?) 8/18

The UFC is returning to Perth, Australia as part of another big deal with the government of Australia.

Australia is popping for the combat sports promotion right now. Not only are stars like Alexander Volkanovski and Robert Whittaker bringing in the fans, the suits at Endeavor have done a great job of convincing regional tourism boards to pay big bucks for local shows.

In 2023, the state of New South Wales paid $16 million to bring four UFC events to Sydney over four years. Now the Western Australia tourism board has inked a new deal to bring a pay-per-view event and Fight Night to Perth, starting with UFC 305 on August 18th.
Financial terms were not disclosed in the press release, but you know UFC made good money.

While no fights have been confirmed, Alexander Volkanovski, Jack Della Maddalena, and Steve Erceg were all on hand for the announcement by the UFC and WA Tourism board.

“The return of UFC to Perth in 2024 is a major coup for Western Australia, following the roaring success of UFC 284 that injected millions into our economy last year,” said Premier Roger Cook. “UFC has proven to be a huge drawcard with a dedicated fan base, and we expect to see thousands of out-of-state visitors travel to Perth to attend this blockbuster.”
“Western Australia continues to strengthen its reputation for hosting world-class sporting events, and with UFC boasting the best of the best in MMA, UFC 305 represents yet another high caliber spectacle in our events calendar.”

Site fees have been a growing component of the UFC’s business strategy. The UFC rarely travels to a city these days unless they’re paid to do so by the arena, the government, or a tourism board. Some reported site fees include $25 million per event from Abu Dhabi and $20 million the upcoming June 22 event in Saudi Arabia.

1 Like

I guess that Date makes a difference

1 Like

1 Like

“Perth, I am so excited to be coming back,” UFC CEO White said in the press release. “After a record-breaking event in 2023, I can’t wait to bring another massive pay-per-view to Western Australia. Perth is a world-class city with some of the most passionate fight fans I’ve ever seen – UFC 305 is going to be incredible!”

UFC 305 will mark the promotion’s third pay-per-view event. UFC 221, which took place in February 2018, was headlined by an interim middleweight title fight between Yoel Romero and Luke Rockhold. Romero won the fight by knockout, but wasn’t eligible to become champion after missing weight.

The UFC then returned to Perth in February 2023, when Australia’s own Alexander Volkanovski challenged lightweight champion Islam Makhachev for the title in the main event of UFC 284. Volkanovski fell short in a tightly contested battle.

Fuck Perth,

Go to Melbourne or Sydners

1 Like

And Sean whines about it. Muh liberals

2 Likes

Yeh its a weird choice. Even Brisbane would be a nice change

1 Like

Feels like in recent years they have been to Perth more times than Syd/Mel/Bris

1 Like