Dana, Why You Giving Out Toy Belts?

Just curious why champions are being awarded the $200 souvenirs instead of the real belts? I been seeing this for the past few events.

Any specific reason behind this? Kinda looks cheap and unprofessional in a way.

you kinda have to give out toy belts when the champion is not in your promotion

karat3 - you kinda have to give out toy belts when the champion is not in your promotion

http://www.yorkblog.com/mma/wamma_belt_feature.jpg

You were saying?

Probably so it doesnt get stollen from the guy right after the fight.

I am sure they take the real deal home.

Massa - Probably so it doesnt get stollen from the guy right after the fight.

I am sure they take the real deal home.

how sure?!

Who cares?
Would this thread have even been made if there weren't a belt dealer as a poster on this forum?

karat3 - you kinda have to give out toy belts when the champion is not in your promotion

Yeah UFC came across really minor league last night when they had the toy belts awarded. I know its a recession and all but come the fuck on. Could you imagine the Super Bowl champions hosting a replica of the Vince Lombardi Trophy? Total Bush League imo. The greatest MMA company in the world, and they are awarding there champions belts that are available in the UFC store and on Ebay.

BTW anyone notice when Dana couldn't get the snaps to snap together when he was strapping the toy belt on GSP. Dana was like WTF is going on. The thing didn't even fit right on GSP as he took it off and through it over his shoulder.

BTW if you need to use the toy belts Dana at least have Dave Millican put the damn things on real leather.

When was the last time we saw the real ones being used? Legit question, I have no skill in telling the differences.

victorpoprock - 

I care.

I find it interesting.

I care as well.

On the last comparison thread, I thought the fake belts looked better...

Bill Pharoni - When was the last time we saw the real ones being used? Legit question, I have no skill in telling the differences.
I believe the one that was carried out by the one guy in GSP's entourage was the real one. If you looked closely there was the real one and than the guy was holding the toy when GSP was getting checked out by the ref. This was before he entered the Octagon. Now why the hell they would need the toy belt out there when the real one was out there is beyond me. But it did look pretty odd to see 2 belts when there should have only been 1 out there.

I can understand using a replica for the interim HW belt, but GSP's was a replica too? WTF

spg - On the last comparison thread, I thought the fake belts looked better...
They are very good replica's don't get me wrong as i even own one. However the real handmade UFC belts are 100X better.

how do you know?

I have had a few real belts in my hands over the years. Belts that are made from the same guys that make the current UFC belts. So i do know the differnce in overall quailty. I have also had a few of the toy belts over the years including the UFC ones we are talking about. This along with viewing of the various pics and you can plainly tell the difference. 

Edit- The toy belts are also made of Pleather. Its more of a plastic than leather. Thats why they look so stiff on tv. This is also why Dana had trouble snapping the toy belts onto the guys last night. These straps are mass produced by machines. The real belts however are on handcut, handtooled real leather done by professional beltmakers.

Good question.

Pink Bunkadoo - 

I like these discussions. Hope they post the pics again. I find it very interesting.

http://www.davemillicanbelts.com/difference.htm You might like this than. This is a website that shows the toy belts vs the real belts side by side. In fairness the toy belts have came along ways in quality since these pics were taken. However you will still get the idea as there is really no comparison when it comes down to it.

First time I noticed it was during Penn's last win. It looks like all the belts since then awarded were the toys. All the promotion for the Abu Dhabi event have featured the toy belts as well.

When I asked Dave Millican, he said they are using "customized replicas" now. Basically from the looks in person they are just putting leather on the back to cover the screw holes and the manufacturer stamp.

I just find it interesting. UFC has the money, just curious why the change to use the "replicas".

I discussed this on the other thread with some comparison pictures.

www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm

saerbarnet - 
http://www.yorkblog.com/mma/wamma_belt_feature.jpg

You were saying?